1. WILLIAM1 RICKETSON was born May 13, 1636 in England, and died Mar 1, 1690/91 in Dartmouth, MA. He married ELIZABETH MOTT May 14, 1679 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA, daughter of ADAM MOTT and MARY LOTT. She was born Aug 6, 1659 in Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI, and died 1723 in Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI.
Notes for WILLIAM RICKETSON:
William Ricketson was a Quaker and a carpenter. He was the earliest and maybe the only Ricketson to come to colonial US. He came to (or was born in) Portsmouth, Rhode Island and later moved to Dartmouth, MA. He was the son of Elizabeth who may have been a widow. He may have been of English descent but no one knows for sure. Various spelling of the Ricketson name in America include: Rickerson, Richeson, Rickitson. Or he may have been the son of "Ricketts".
P.R.20. - private record, from the John Ricketson family Bible, in the possession of the Old Dartmouth Historical Society in New Bedford
**Note: Original documents of the proprietors of Old Dartmouth list the 32 original proprietors and does not include William Ricketson. Some sources mention 34 original proprietors but do not list them.
Ricketson, William, Dartmouth, son of Elizabeth who may have been a widow residing there, by wife Elizabeth had Rebecca, b. 14 May, 1681; John, 11 Feb. 1683; Elizabeth 1 Sept. 1684; William, 26 Feb. 1686; Jonathan, 7 Apr. 1688; and Timothy, 22 Jan. 1690; and d. 1 ar. 1691.
More About WILLIAM RICKETSON:
Notes for ELIZABETH MOTT:
Ancestry.com - Family Data Collection - Births.
Elizabeth's father, Adam Mott immigrated to the colonies in 1635 at the age of 12. He came with his father, Adam, step mother Sarah Jennings and siblings. Her mother, Mary Lott, was the daughter of Sarah (Jennings) Lott, step-sister to Adam Mott.
Four years after the death of William in 1691she married Matthew Wing. Matthew was 14 years younger than Elizabeth. Elizabeth and Matthew Wing had three children: Benjamin, Joseph, and Abigail.
Children of WILLIAM RICKETSON and ELIZABETH MOTT are:
EBECKAH2 RICKETSON, b. May 14, 1681, Dartmouth, Bristol, MA; d. Mar 21, 1750/51, Dartmouth, Bristol, MA.
ii. JOHN RICKETSON, b. Feb 11, 1682/83, Portsmouth, Newport, RI; d. Jan 27, 1703/04, Dartmouth, Bristol, MA.
3. iii. ELIZABETH RICKETSON, b. Sep 17, 1684, Dartmouth, Bristol, MA; d. Feb 11, 1731/32, Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA.
4. iv. WILLIAM RICKETSON, JR, b. Feb 26, 1685/86, Dartmouth, Bristol, MA; d. Dartmouth, Bristol, MA.
5. v. JONATHAN RICKETSON, b. Apr 7, 1688, Dartmouth MA; d. Oct 16, 1768, Dartmouth MA.
vi. TIMOTHY RICKETSON, b. Jan 22, 1688/89, Dartmouth, Bristol, MA; d. 1711, At Sea.
Generation No. 2
2. REBECKAH2 RICKETSON (WILLIAM1) was born May 14, 1681 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA, and died Mar 21, 1750/51 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA. She married JOHN RUSSELL Apr 5, 1704 in Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA, son of JOSEPH RUSSELL and ELIZABETH ??. He was born Nov 29, 1679 in Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA, and died 1767.
Children of REBECKAH RICKETSON and JOHN RUSSELL are:
HEBE3 RUSSELL, b. Aug 23, 1724; d. Nov 3, 1770; m. JOHN RICKETSON, Aug 23, 1744; b. 1720, Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA; d. May 8, 1794.
ii. ELIZABETH RUSSELL, b. Apr 19, 1705, Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA.
iii. REBECCA RUSSELL, b. Jul 23, 1706, Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA.
Probably died young since she had a sister Rebecca born in 1722.
iv. BETHIA RUSSELL, b. Dec 19, 1707, Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA.
Probably died young.
v. JOHN RUSSELL, b. Jan 16, 1709/10.
vi. DANIEL RUSSELL, b. Dec 15, 1711; d. 1772.
vii. BENJAMIN RUSSELL, b. Dec 18, 1713; d. Mar 10, 1728/29.
viii. ZERVIAH RUSSELL, b. Jul 24, 1715; d. 1782.
ix. JOANNA RUSSELL, b. Mar 18, 1717/18; d. Apr 4, 1729.
x. TIMOTHTY RUSSELL, b. Nov 16, 1719.
xi. REBECCA RUSSELL, b. Nov 16, 1719.
3. ELIZABETH2 RICKETSON (WILLIAM1) was born Sep 17, 1684 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA, and died Feb 11, 1731/32 in Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA. She married DANIEL WOOD, son of WILLIAM WOOD and MARTHA EARLE. He died 1758.
Notes for ELIZABETH RICKETSON:
Ancestry.com - Family collection
Children of ELIZABETH RICKETSON and DANIEL WOOD are:
ILLAIM3 WOOD, b. May 20, 1706; m. HANNAH HOWLAND.
ii. ELIZABETH WOOD, b. Jan 26, 1708/09; d. Apr 17, 1778.
iii. MARTHA WOOD, b. Apr 13, 1712.
iv. REBECCA WOOD, b. Jul 4, 1715; d. Bef. 1757.
v. DANIEL WOOD, JR., b. Mar 27, 1720; d. 1755.
4. WILLIAM2 RICKETSON, JR (WILLIAM1) was born Feb 26, 1685/86 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA, and died in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA. He married MERIBAH SLOCUM. She was born Apr 28, 1689 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA.
Notes for WILLIAM RICKETSON, JR:
Name: RICKETSON, William
Children of WILLIAM RICKETSON and MERIBAH SLOCUM are:
OHN3 RICKETSON, b. Jun 18, 1709, Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA; d. Jun 21, 1709, Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA.
ii. MARY RICKETSON, b. Mar 10, 1712/13, Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA.
iii. ELIZABETH RICKETSON, b. Mar 17, 1714/15, Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA; d. 1794.
iv. ELEPHEL RICKETSON, b. Apr 7, 1722, Dartmouth, Bristol Co, MA.
v. WILLIAM RICKETSON III, b. May 19, 1722.
ILLIAM RICKETSON III:
Married Hannah Russell?
vi. CULBUD RICKETSON, b. Sep 4, 1724.
Born September 25, 1725?
vii. JOANNA RICKETSON, b. Sep 25, 1725.
viii. MERIBAH RICKETSON, b. May 5, 1729.
5. JONATHAN2 RICKETSON (WILLIAM1) was born Apr 7, 1688 in Dartmouth MA, and died Oct 16, 1768 in Dartmouth MA. He married ABIGAIL HOWLAND Jul 10, 1710 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA, daughter of BENJAMIN HOWLAND and JUDITH SAMPSON. She was born Nov 3, 1686 in Dartmouth MA, and died Jan 15, 1769 in Dartmouth MA.
Notes for JONATHAN RICKETSON:
Source: Grace Williamson Edes.
"Sep 15, 1708 two Friends were appointed to enquire of Jonathan Ricketson concerning his laying his Intention of his marriage before the meeting. And they having spoken with him, do make report to the meeting that he saith he doth not intend to lay Intention of Marriage before the Monthly Meeting, but he saith he thinks it no sin to be married otherwise.
"May 17, 1710. Jonathan Ricketson and Abigail Howland were condemned by the meeting.
"Aug 19, 1724. The following paper was read and approved by the meeting: "To
the Monthly Meeting of Friends to be held on ye 16th. day of 9th. month 1724 in
Dartmouth. "Wheras we in 1710 proceeded in marriage contrary to the good order
of Friends whereof we do condemn out outgoings, and count ourselves justly
Denied and do desire that God would forgive us and that friends would pass it by
so that we may be in unity with them again.
"On 9 April, 1756, Jonathan Ricketson sold a portion of his homestead to his son Abner, but the deed of sale was not signed until 12 October 1763, which the signature reads "Jonathan and Alys." evidently an error, as Abigail survived her husband." **kAbigail could very well be mistaken for Alys in the old handwriting.
Children of JONATHAN RICKETSON and ABIGAIL HOWLAND are: